Tuesday 27 October 2009

Type Workshop


The final exercise was to chose a interesting part of a letter, or a font and sort of experiment and look at the differences between different type analyzing the specific part you chose. I chose the descender of the letter "G" and compared it to all of the types that where given to us to work with and placed them from serif to sans serif. I started to realise that the serif descender of the letter"g" was quite similar and it slightly changed. It was not really noticeable, but since I drew them I could tell the difference even more. They have asked us to push this further and I have found a lot of different type and will compare as many descender of "g" that I can.

These are a bit of examples of the class work that was displayed, mine is a bit in the corner and I will have to upload a picture of the name I did this day. I think that all of the names had something quite interesting, and we discussed all the different possibilities and interesting facts of the designs that the people in class created.


This was our type workshop, I really enjoyed it because I knew that a type phase was classified into fonts and that there where families being regular, italic, light, bold , black , condensed and extended; but I did not know the correct terms for serif and sans serif type phase. I knew there was a correct term but I did not really know it until this lecture. I quite enjoyed it really, we did an exercise on transparent paper and different fonts, the first thing we had to do was to chose a font that would describe us as a person. I chose "Futura Book because" I prefer sans serif type, I think it is less serious and a bit more modern and it was a simple and still very clean type that I found would relate with my personality.

No comments:

Post a Comment